Safety Management Systems
Book two courses and get 10% off
Book three courses and get 15% off
Book four or more courses and get 20% off
Make a booking
- Course Code
- 2 days
- $1040 (GST exempt)
- Course Hours
- 9.00 to 5.00 each day
This course is based on ISO AS/NZS 4801:2001 and OHSAS 18001:2007; Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems. It includes an evaluation of the benefits and principles of an Occupational Health and Safety Management System (SMS), an explanation of the commitments and requirements of ISO 4801and 180001 from implementation and auditing perspectives, as well as implementation practices including the identification and management of workplace safety aspects and the establishment of workplace safety objectives, targets and improvement plans.
The course also addresses the recent amendments to WHS legislation and its impact on organisational policies and workplace practices. All activities are designed to be made relevant and applicable to the delegate’s own organisation and work environment.
Competency Outcomes & Associated Courses
Participants who choose to submit their class activities for assessment on successful completion will be issued with a Certificate of Attainment covering the following competencies under the RABQSA framework:
RABQSA-OH – Safety Management Systems
- Lead Auditor: This course combined with our Lead Auditor course (AUTL) enables successful candidates to apply to RABQSA International for certification as a provisional auditor.
- Diploma Pathway: This course combined with our Lead Auditor (AUTL), plus either our Risk Management or Audit Master Class will result in a Nationally Accredited Diploma for successful candidates.
Participants who choose not to submit their class activities for assessment will be issued with a Certificate of Attendance. Formal competency assessment criteria will be covered during the course and are available by request from firstname.lastname@example.org
Attendance & Pre-requisite Guidelines
There are no pre-requisites for this course although a practical understanding of management systems is advised. This training course is designed for:
- Auditors and lead auditors who are required to conduct assessments and audits of Safety Management Systems based on AS/NZS 4801:2001 and OHSAS 18001:2007
- People who are responsible for developing and implementing Safety Management Systems based on AS/NZS 4801:2001 and OHSAS 18001:2007
At the completion of this course participants will have an understanding of:
- The types of OHS standards and specifications available
- The philosophy, principles and attributes of management systems and how they help reduce risk, meet legal requirements and assist continual improvement
- What a hazard and risk are and how to identify, assess and control them
- The hierarchy of risk controls
- Apply the requirements of AS/NZS 4801 and OHSAS 18001 to an organisation
- How to integrate AS/NZS 4801 and OHSAS 18001 with other management systems
This course covers the following topics.
- Introduction to Safety Management Systems – what is it and how it works; OH&S terminology; the costs of incidents; barriers to effective implementation of the OH&S management system; OH&S management system standards; Structure of AS/NZS 4801:2001 and OHSAS 18001:2007
- Requirements of AS/NZS 4801:2001 and OHSAS 18001:2007 - interpreting the requirements of the standards; scope of AS/NZS 4801 and OHSAS 18001;comparison between AS/NZS 4801 and OHSAS 18001
- OHS policy - planning implementing and operating an OH&S management system; measurement and evaluation (AS/NZS 4801)/checking (OHSAS18001) and management review
- Integration with other management systems - top-down/bottom-up integration
- Identification and control of hazards - types of hazards; hazard identification processes; risk assessment; risk treatment/operational controls; hierarchy of risk controls and monitoring and measuring effectiveness of control measures
- Continual improvement and legal and other compliance
Course Fee Inclusions
The fee for this course includes all pre-course administrative support, comprehensive course notes, lunch & refreshments. Also included are all costs of assessment, marking & feedback (see our competency assessment agreement for further details), certificate issuance & postage, registration of your competency with the appropriate regulatory bodies and ongoing record keeping and storage of your assessment outcomes.
Some copies of the AS/NZS ISO4801 and 18001 Standards will be available for reference during the course however we recommend bringing your own copy so you can make your own notes/highlight during the course (alternatively to support delegate learning and post-course reference, hard copies may be purchased during registration for delivery to your course).
Are you registered to the Training Newsletter?
If you're not already registered, then sign up today to receive our FREE Training Newsletter. You will be informed with the latest training courses, new systems, and more opportunities to add value and assist you and your company with all your Management System training needs.
Contact The NCSI Training Team
Need more information? Our friendly training team will assist you and answer any questions you may have. Please contact us on 02 8999 0653 or via email email@example.com
NCSI is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and provider of Nationally Recognised Training.
Provider number 40532.